15 April 2010

Skeezy old man

My friend and I were sitting outside enjoying some frozen yogurt after a sushi dinner when we were approached by an elderly gentleman. Well, my friend was approached... he interrupted our conversation and completely ignored me while having the following conversation with my friend:


Old man: Excuse the interruption but you look familiar. Are you on the volleyball team?
My friend: No I'm not.
Old man: I'm retired so I have the time to keep up with the sports, you know. Are you a student here?
My friend: Yes.
Old man: What do you have... two years left?
My friend: Yes.
Old man: What are you studying?
My friend: I'm actually a graduate student.
Old man: In what?
My friend: Medicine.
Old man: That's a long and difficult road. What do you think of this healthcare bill Obama just passed? Do you think it will be good or bad for doctors?
My friend: My friend and I were just discussing that. We agree it will be bad.
Old man: Yes, you won't make the big bucks anymore. Probably doesn't make it worthwhile. Maybe you'll change fields now. Medicine is a long road.
My friend: I think I'll stick with it.
Old man: [gives his name, sticks out his hand to shake hers]
My friend: [gives her first name only]
Old man: [first name] what?
My friend: [gives her last name]
Old man: [mispronounces her last name], is that English or German?
My friend: German. I was actually in the middle of a conversation with my friend so if you'll excuse us...
Old man: Do you have a boyfriend?
My friend: Sir, I ...
Old man: Well now I was hoping to ask if you would like to get together for lunch some time so we could get better acquainted in a proper manner?
My friend: I don't think so...
Old man: Well if you don't ask, you'll never know. Take it as a compliment and have a nice evening.

Ok, so despite the veneer of politeness it was a decidedly skeezy conversation of the part of this AARP member. Let's not forget that when he approached her, he thought she was an undergrad with two years to go... that would make her 20, max. He looked an easy 70. Did he really think he was getting a yes? Delusions of Hefner much?

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Maybe he was filthy rich? Coulda bankrolled her difficult first few years of working ;)