10 March 2009

.... and I'm back

I know it's been a while since I've posted regularly. I can give you all kinds of excuses (medical school is a lot of work, I've been traveling a lot), but honestly it doesn't mean much unless you see me post regularly again... so let's see if I can manage that.

The first year of medical school (to date) has been a little different than expected - there is a lot less patient interaction than I was accustomed to while being in the hospital. It's a lot more social than you think - we work really hard but we go out a lot too. On the other hand, it's also cost me more than I expected and I don't likemy geography at all. I love my school and my classmates, but I don't like living in Michigan (too far from friends/family/big cities). Some notes:

1. I hate anatomy. It takes up a lot of time and it's not that interesting. Apparently this means I am unlikely to become a surgeon.

2. I love video-taped lectures and flex-time quizzes. It gives me autonomy and allows me to pursue activities outside of class.

3. I was in a swing dance performance



4. I am doing clinical research again (on HLHS). I didn't realise how much I would miss it, so it's really nice to be able to work that into my schedule.

5. I am a MedBuddy coordinator - we pair medical and nursing students with children in the hospital for extended stays. The students visit the kids 3-4 times a week. I also have a MedBuddy - cutest little girl ever!

6. Two of the papers I was co-author on have been published!

7. During an a series of alternative medicine lectures I received a massage and had an acupuncture needle put in my hand (it feels weird).











8. I went to the inauguration










9. I went to Rome, Florence and Paris for spring break










Ok - I think that covers some of the cooler tidbits. I will keep you updated!

No comments: