05 April 2011

I called it!

Warning: this post involves some bragging. Let me state that I frequently get things wrong (thus, still in training), but that's not as fun to write about.


How clinic works: The attending sends me in to each room ahead of her to get a history and perform a physical exam. I then briefly present the patient to her as well as any recommendations I have. She then finishes the appointment with the patient (I'm in the room too).

I go in to see patient X who is supposedly here for a routine physical. I ask her how she's been feeling lately and she says "my optometrist said it was important I keep this appointment." On questioning I discover that she is having positional headaches and some intermittent nausea, but otherwise feels well. She denies any vision changes.

On physical exam, patient X had bilaterally blurred optic disc margins (papilledema), full visual fields to confrontation, but otherwise appeared well.

If you're in medical school, make your diagnosis now...

During my presentation I state that idiopathic intracranial hypertension is at the top of my differential, but that a mass lesion should be ruled out. I state that papilledema merits an MRI but that ultimately a lumbar puncture should be performed. My attending smiles at me, pats my hand and says, "please don't be offended if I disagree with you, that's a pretty rare thing to find."

We go in together to see patient X. My attending examines her and begins counseling her. Guess what turns out to be at the top of her differential? Guess what test she wants first? Yup. I may have given myself a mental pat on the back.

No comments: