03 April 2011

When I grow up...

A big focus in life at the moment is answering the question: What kind of doctor do I want to be? Unfortunately for me, I am currently undecided. Here's where I am:


Internal Medicine (likely fellowship in cardiology or critical care)
Pro: Some patient continuity, variety, acute care, flexible lifestyle
Con: Not heavily procedural unless I go into the cath lab
Total time: 3 years residency + 3 years fellowship

General Surgery (likely critical care fellowship)
Pro: Very procedural, the OR is fun, prestige, variety, some patient continuity
Con: Not sure I love GI problems, tough lifestyle, required lab year
Total time: 7 years residency, with fellowship as one of my research years

Pediatrics (likely fellowship in cardiology or critical care)
Pro: love the patient population, patient continuity, flexible lifestyle
Con: not procedural (again, unless cath lab), limited places to practice
Total time: 3 years residency + 3 years fellowship

I've ruled out anesthesiology for lack of patient continuity. Plus, if I'm going to be in the OR, it's going to be my OR. I would likely match in any of these, though surgery would be toughest. Current plan: subi in each, await my surgery grade and see where we stand.

ps note the M4 schedule has been posted on the sidebar, for those who are curious.

No comments: